Leather boots are a staple in the wardrobe of most men, women, and children. Leather boots are incredibly hardy, but some things can damage them in the long run. One of these is water, and the boots aren’t often treated with the same level of care as other leather accessories. This is why they do not last that long. And also nobody likes water leaking into their shoes, not only is it uncomfortable, but it can also lead to foot infections, colds, and many other problems.
That is unless you know how to waterproof work boots. But if you don’t, don’t worry we have typed out this article to give you tips on how to waterproof leather boots and make sure you’re on the right track. So before investing in a good pair of boots, learn what it takes to keep them safe from water.
Table of Contents
1. Shoe Wax
After experimenting we have made a list of 3 ways to waterproof your leather boots and out of all, the best way to waterproof leather boots is by using Shoe Wax. That is because it is the easiest and most successful way of waterproofing leather boots. Though boot waterproofing wax can change the finish or the color of your leather boot, before waterproofing your leather boots, it is better to try the wax on some unnoticeable part of the boot. Make sure you use colorless wax to prevent the shoe from staining.
Related: How To Mink Oil Boots Properly?
- You must first remove any dirt or dust from the surface of your leather shoes. For that, start with a dry towel or cloth and after that, use a damp cloth to clean the shoe properly. If the shoe is dirtier, it is better to wash them before applying the wax. Make sure the shoe is completely clean and dry before waterproofing.
- Then rub a small amount (1-2 oz.) of wax into each shoe with a clean towel. Make sure that you only apply the wax to leather, not rubber or vinyl. Rub the wax into the surface of the shoe with circular motions to help it spread evenly across the shoe.
- Then, remove as much of the extra shoe wax as you can with another clean cloth.
- Use a hairdryer and put it on medium heat. Let it warm up before blowing on the shoe. Hold the dryer closer to the shoe surface to melt the wax. And wave it back and forth to evenly apply the heat on the whole shoe. It will let the wax set into the shoe and make it waterproof.
- Check the boot waterproofing by splashing some water onto the shoe.
One of the best shoe wax on the market is Sno-Seal.
2. Sprays And Coatings
Another way of waterproofing leather boots is with waterproofing sprays or coatings. Buy a good work boot waterproof spray. Ensure it has silicone or any acrylic polymers because it is the main ingredient that will waterproof your work boot. Waterproof sprays create a layer of waterproofing material over the leather boot, which can wear off, so you will need to re-apply the layer after some time.
- Clean and dry the work boot as directed before.
- Put your shoes in an aerated room with good ventilation and wear face-covering to prevent inhaling the spray.
- Hold the spray 6 to 8 inches away from the shoes, and ideally hang the shoe to prevent spraying on your face or any other furniture.
- Apply 2-3 sprays on the leather boots and ensure you do not leave a spot uncovered.
- Wipe off the access using a paper towel
- Leave the shoe to dry and when it is completely dry, apply a second coat and leave the shoe to dry overnight.
- Re-apply the spray after some use to maintain the waterproofing.
One of the best waterproofing sprays is Apple Brand Garde Rain & Stain Water Repellent.
Using waterproofing cream is probably the best leather boot waterproofing method. These creams come with polymers that allow your shoe to become waterproof. Some creams are also dyed and for specific colored leathers, make sure you have the cream that matches your shoe or an undyed cream to prevent your leather boot from staining.
Also Read: How To Make Your Leather Boots Darker?
To waterproof your work boot using cream, follow the steps given below:
- Clean and dry the work boots as directed before.
- Use a clean towel to apply some cream to your shoe and rub it on the surface.
- Allow the cream to dry, and then apply a second coat.
- After drying, the cream should waterproof the boot.
If you are looking for a waterproofing cream, then Kaps Water Stop cream is best.